Saturday, February 18, 2012

Fakegate: "What would I write IF I WERE AS CRAZY AS AGW SKEPTICS?"

To start with, why does the document feel a need to provide a bio for Wojick--who works closely enough with Heartland to have a bio on their website--but not for all the climate scientists and writers that it cites in this section?

Then there's the tone. I have never heard a warming skeptic refer to themselves as "anti-climate", or to their opponents as "communicators". And believe me, I get chewed out by climate skeptics with great regularity.

And in a way I find it hard to put my finger on, the worldview just feels . . . off. There are a bunch of little things--this is the only document in which the word "warmist" appears, for example. But it's much more than that. It's too nice to opponents ("high profile", "communicator"). And it views climate skeptics as far more powerful than they (in my experience) actually feel, and opponents as combating their messages, rather than the other way around. It seems to fundamentally misunderstand the paranoia of a movement that sees itself as under siege.

The commenters who attack me on my global warming views do not see us as equals doing battle on the plains of Mordor. They think of me as having been captured by a dubious consensus that is manufactured and maintained by social pressure, the general human tendency to alarmism about complex threats, and the self-interest of a few scientists--and in truth, they can point to some instances, like the longstanding belief that humans had 48 chromosomes, which were maintained against all evidence by a very powerful social dynamic. Obviously, I disagree with their analysis, but I do understand their reasoning process--and that they have a reasoning process. I don't feel like the writer of this memo understands either. It's more like they sat down at the computer and said, "What would I write IF I WERE AS CRAZY AS AGW SKEPTICS?"
Funny, "having been captured by a dubious consensus that is manufactured and maintained by social pressure, the general human tendency to alarmism about complex threats, and the self-interest of a few scientists" is exactly what I think about large parts of the sciences, the media and ultimately the public when it comes to climate change – and I am reasonably suspicious of conspiracy bullshit theories and think I am not crazy (alas, I probably could not provide evidence for that).
Need I point out that this seems almost expressly designed as a counterweight to the ClimateGate emails which talked about keeping opposition voices out of journals and the IPCC report? Except ludicrous--even if it were true, can anyone imagine a climate skeptic saying to themselves, "Well, they've got the IPCC and the peer-reviewed jouranls, but thank God, we've got Forbes!"
That is exactly the "social pressure" the ClimateGate emails make clear.
The bottom line is that while the Times thought that "its tone and content closely matched that of other documents that the group did not dispute", to me, they aren't a close match at all. Rather, they read like, well, like someone without the imagination--or motivation--to pass an Ideological Turing Test wrote up a neat little executive summary for their ideological fellows.
Yepp, those who manufactured this "Climate Strategy" document wouldn't pass as climate skeptics. Which shows that the people talking about Heartland "Deniergate" clearly are not able to look into the criticism the "deniers" have (I'm looking at you Phil Plait).

2 comments:

  1. - Good post thank God there some people in this world with enough critical thinking skills
    - Just before the story came up I wrote another post warning supposed "critical thinkers" to stop taking news that fits their dogma at face value ..when it came up they spat in my face & called me denier... now I just wrote a post on using the PG story to teach critical thinking using Phil Plait's posts as an example

    ReplyDelete
  2. - that article I wrote is http://www.stewgreen.com/irrational_world/rational28.htm

    - Yes cult, a2 weeks ago when I commented on a cut & paste of Gleick's PR on the blog of Doubtfulnews (Phil's clique) I was met with snarls & I thought that's not just a religious response that's the response of a cult member.

    ReplyDelete