Friday, July 5, 2013

Cheap Astronomy – Review (And Improvements) Of The "Astronomical Telescope Model 30070"

[Update 2013-08-23]
The 70/300 refractor I bought is stopped down to an aperture of about 30mm (!) due to various points:
  • Small focuser (0.965")
  • Baffle in the focuser's drawtube
  • Small star diagonal (again 0.965")
The worst offender is the baffle in the focuser's drawtube, and by removing it you can increase the effective aperture to about 50mm (which is still bad).

Due to the fast focal ratio, the only way to get the full 70mm aperture is to make some serious DIY modifications of this scope: One needs to add a larger focuser (the inner diameter of drawtube must be substantially larger than 1.25", depending on its length) and a larger star diagonal (at least 1.25").

Yesterday I provisionally adapted a 2" star diagonal and tested the scope with the full aperture of 70mm for the first time. The image of the (not quite) full Moon seemed fine. Chromatic aberration was present, but not so much as I feared (and the collimation was very coarse). The contrast of the Moon's mare was better than my 76/300 table-top Dobsonian – and that with a very coarse collimation of the 70/300. This is definitely promising for a first DIY ATM project.

But the problem is that the dimensions get problematic, as the 2" diagonal adds to much optical path, I now have little bit more of an centimetre (maybe half an inch) of distance between the end of the OTA and the flange of the diagonal. With the current length of the OTA there is definitely no room for an 2" focuser. Therefore I'm thinking about shortening (the already short) OTA…

Furthermore the 2" diagonal may be lightweight for its size, but none the less it has its weight and with the adapter to 1.25" eyepieces the scope is now quite back-heavy – one needs to move the attachment point for the tripod much further back…

An alternative would be to use an 1.25" diagonal. But frankly, if do such an modification, then I want to retain the possibility of using 2" wide-field eyepieces. Furthermore the position of an 1.25" diagonal can become critical: one should carefully measure the focus position for all the eyepieces (in combination with all the Barlows!) one owns to make sure if using a "small" 1.25" diagonal makes sense. For me, this is too much work, with too little benefit, and too much possibility of things one working out – so I will stick to the initial plan of using a 2" diagonal.

(And I now fully understand why the ETX60/ETX70/ETX80 are designed they way they are. Meade has put much thought into these scopes, and if I had the money and would ignore my GOTO allergy, I would probably get all three of them, plus probably the ETX90, ETX105 and ETX125… Or maybe if I had money I would get the OTAs and put them on proper EQ mounts… One can dream.)

tl;dr
Scope is stopped down to about 30mm, and therefore "out of the box" unusable for astronomy. Though the scope makes a nice basis for an ATM project to add a larger focuser and diagonal – if you have some skills and can invest the time (and materials), that is.
[/Update 2013-08-23]

[Update 2013-10-11]
    Success! With some DIY measures I finally managed to turn this alleged scope into an halfway useful wide-field scope! See update below!
[/Update 2013-10-11]


So this will be the first instalment of my "Cheap Astronomy" series, in which I will follow my aim to gaze at the night sky with as little investment as possible. I was inspired a bit by Steve Waldee's work (see here his excellent "consumer report" on a Skywatcher 70mm/700mm refractor), and I will try to do one or the other thing he does so well. Only on a much lower level, with much less experience, and by spending as little as possible. I will not promise that I write often – I'll have to see how much energy I can muster.

If you are mainly interested in telescopes that will put your neighbours to shame, then you are likely wrong here – if on the other hand you want to explore the wonders of the night sky at an budget (and enjoy doing some DIY improvements), then you came to the right place.

Here today I will try to write a review of the 70mm/300mm refractor telescope (or what passes for a "review" here at Cheap Astronomy HQ), a scope that seems to be ubiquitous with its colorful box (at least ubiquitous in my neck of the woods). Furthermore I will write down what I did to improve it.

To the stars clouds!
Ah, doesn't the scope look nice?
(Manfrotto/Bogen tripod, head and quick-release plate not included)

I have seen these scopes come up on eBay for quite some time now, but I haven't been able to find reviews of this 70/300 refractor scope – no forum posting, no blog posting, no nothing – could it be that there are none out there on the net? So this piqued my interest and I thought I attempt to get this little scope cheaply, to try it out myself.

Left: The edge of the FOV of my (cheap, cheap) 7x60 binocular
Right: The edge of the FOV of my "Model 30070" telescope (at 7x magnification, with supplied star diagonal and my H42mm eyepiece)
(Both images are to the same scale)

After my (cheap, cheap) 7x60 binoculars (ruby-coated!) turned out to have quite a bit of chromatic aberration, I fully expected this "Model 30070" telescope to manifests itself to be an horrible Chinese mess, with horrible coma, and horrible chromatic aberration and halos – in which case I would have sold it again. And out of the box it turned out to be useless for astronomy, however – given my (low?) standards – with some modifications the optics do actually perform very nicely, both during daytime and on the night sky.

So for me, this scope is a definitively an keeper.

Contents Of This Review
Caveats
What's In The Box (&Data)
Showstoppers And Other Annoyances (+Some Fixes)
Saturn
An Waning Crescent (&Terrestrial Use)
What's Nice & Pleasant About This Scope
Under The Hood (&Measurements)
What Remains To Be Done
tl;dr

Caveats


While I know a thing or two about optics, I am however new to astronomy. My foray into astronomy consisted of some (laughably little) naked eye astronomy over the past year. So when I write that something is bad, it usually is – but when I write that something is nice (or somesuch), that means it offers nice views compared to what I had before – which was that little naked-eye astronomy (and awful 7x60 binoculars). Seeing for the first time with "my own eyes" that the "little bright dot" we call Saturn has actually rings, that makes me truly blissful – even if I can't see Cassini's Division. So YMMV. Furthermore, your interests and needs may differ from mine, and what works for me might not work for you (and vice versa).

Secondly, what you get when you buy a "Model 30070" may differ from what I got – some things may change (without notice) for the better, some things may change for the worse.

Another caveat is that I used 2 decisively non-cheap pieces of equipment:
  • A Manfrotto/Bogen tripod with ball-type head
  • An Spindler&Hoyer 10mm Abbe orthoscopic microscope eyepiece
Each of which did cost me more than my binoculars, my two telescopes, all my other eyepieces and the (used) EQ1-mount combined. So it is a bit of a cheat to call this "cheap" astronomy, but I had them lying around anyway and decided to put them to good use (if only to have a reference).
The moderately expensive Manfrotto/Bogen 055PRO photo-tripod with ball-type head offers a surprising stable view for astronomical use (at 50x magnification with the "30070"), even with the central column fully extended – any vibrations die down very quickly.
The ball-type head is – while adequate for this scope – not really ideal for astronomy.

What's In The Box (&Data)


I was lucky to pick up this telescope "used" for 10€ on the 29th June. The previous owner has only used it once and then sold it as a "scope for children". Typical prices here range from 20€ to 30€ (both used and new), but can go up to 100€ for new ones (which seems insane – but a capitalist has to do, what a capitalist has to do, right?).

So what did I get for 10€?

The colorful box, and what I found inside…

Mine came with:
  • The Optical tube assembly (OTA), with an lens of D=70mm aperture and nominal f=300mm focal length (f/4.3)
  • One standard 1/4"-20 thread on the OTA, to mount the OTA to an tripod
  • An focuser attached to the OTA (BTW, all the eyepieces, the focuser, the star diagonal, the Barlow and the "erecting eyepiece" have an diameter of 0.965" / 24.5mm)
  • Two eyepieces: One Huygens 20mm (H20mm) and one Huygens 6mm (H6mm)
  • An (cheap) 3x Barlow
  • An 1.5x image erection "eyepiece", for terrestrial viewing
  • A 90° star diagonal
  • An dew shield (which slides over the plastic "lens cell" of OTA)
  • An two-part lens cap (which fits on the dew shield) – the two-part lens cap allows the scope to be stopped down to 41mm aperture
  • An finderscope (5x10?) with cross-hairs and an simple bracket
  • An simple tabletop tripod (the legs do not extend)
  • Several 0.965" plugs for the various pieces
  • Two eyepiece canisters
Sure feels like a "real" telescope, doesn't it?

The nominal data of the "Model 30070 Telescope"
And yes, the lens actually is coated (if only very slightly)

So here some the stats of this scope:

Astronomical Telescope 30070
Aperture D=70mm (2.75 inch)
Focal length (nominal) f=300mm (11.8 inch)
Focal ratio f/4.3
Focuser Rack-and-Pinion
Barrel diameter:
Eyepieces
Focuser
Star diagonal
Barlow
0.965 inch (24.5mm)
Magnifications for
astronomical use with
supplied accessories
15x with H20mm
45x with H20mm and 3x Barlow
50x with H6mm
150x with H6mm and 3x Barlow
(last combo for Moon only – maybe)
Finderscope 5x24
(5x24 according to some websites,
in reality it is out-of-the-box closer to 5x10)

Showstoppers And Other Annoyances – (&Some Fixes)


Notice 1: For me, some things were fine with my scope, some things were horrible. If you buy one yourself, you may find a different set of problems that are horrible for you, and different things that might be fine for you.

Notice 2: Breaking things seems to much easier to achieve than fixing things (and sometimes the required skills for an task exceed the available skills). If you foolishly try to do what I did, and as an result break your telescope, then it is your fault – not mine.

So only try the following if you know the possible consequences – and in the knowledge that if things go south, that you might have to write off your money and your telescope. M'kay?

So, what's wrong with this scope?

I would say for astronomical use the main problems with the scope I got were as follows:
  • The high-power H6mm eyepiece is of low optical quality
  • The 3x Barlow is of low optical quality
  • The focuser was loose (SRSLY?)
  • The focuser only accepts 0.965" eyepieces and accessories, making upgrading difficult
  • Internal reflections (lots of places)
  • Useless finderscope, useless bracket for finderscope
  • The base of the OTA (which connects to the tripod via a 1/4"-20 screw) does flex when you apply a little bit of force (e.g. when focusing). This leads to a problem that I mistook for "focuser shifting", but which isn't the fault of the focuser. (The focuser is, with some modifications, now fine and free of shifting as far as I can see.)


 I added two stripes of flocking material (that act kind of like "rails" now) to the focuser to fix the wobble – now it seems to work fine.

Some of the minor annoyances and lesser quibbles are:
  • The lens cell is made from plastic and not adjustable (what did you expect from such an reasonably priced instrument?) 
  • The lens edge is not blackened, and the lens cell is shiny black plastic
  • The two eyepieces are not parfocal. If I exchange the H20mm for the H6mm (and vice versa), then I have to refocus.
  • The finderscope has no protective caps. Everything else, gets their little caps and plugs and canisters, so you can protect them when you don't need them – but not the finder scope. Should this tell you what the makers thought about their finderscope?
  • I can not put a eyepiece directly into the focuser, because I can't rack out the focuser out enough. You have to use either the star diagonal, the 3x Barlow or the "1.5x erecting eyepiece" to be able to reach focus. (On the other hand this is helpful if you want make astrophotography with focal projection – if the camera is lightweight enough for the focuser, that is.) There is one crude workaround for microscope eyepieces with 23.2 mm diameter: dismantle the "1.5x erecting eyepiece", use the front tube and slide the microscope eyepiece in. The eyepiece will sit there very loosely (and can easily fall out unless you do some more fiddling…), but you can use that tube as an spacer.
  • When mounting the scope to a Manfrotto/Bogen quick-release plate, there is a piece from the "1/4 inch mounting base" of telescope in the way – one has to mount the plate the "wrong way round" (with the "lens arrow" on the plate facing the wrong direction).
  • The "1/4 inch mounting base" is fitted with two screws to the OTA – one after the OTA's baffle, one before it. If you want to remove this mounting base (e.g. because you want to fit mounting rings) then you probably must remove the lens from the lens cell.
  • I didn't bother to test the supplied tripod, as it is so short that you need to put it on a table to use the scope – and that was not possible from my observation site. (If you fancy such stuff, then you could use it as well like a sniper, if you lie down on the ground – but for astronomy this is useless.)
    [Update] Well, I did give the tripod a try during the daytime and it was as expected very disappointing. The 1/4"-20 screw is wobbly (is that the reason for the annoying protuberance on the scope's base and the complimentary "set-screw" on the head?). At 26.5x magnification the tripod is not nearly stable enough for this lightweight scope – the whole shebang shakes and wobbles like a leaf after the slightest provocation. Pointing the thing with its alt-az head is formidably horrible – it was easier to pick up the scope with its tripod than to pan with the tripod head. Not even usable during the daytime – what a waste of material and energy this tripod is.

    We Can Rebuild It. We Have The Technology.

    Cutting for better contrast!

    To improve the scope I did the following:
    • Removed the worst internal reflections (lots of places)
    • Fixed the loose focuser tube (somewhat)
    • Rasped/filed off a screw's burr, belonging to the focuser's eyepiece retaining ring
    • Cursed at the useless finderscope and its equally useless bracket, after fiddling unfruitfully with it for quite some time
    Getting rid of reflections

    When testing the scope during the daytime I had some instances where contrast was really bad, which I could track down to internal reflections. The worst combo was using the 3x Barlow together with the star diagonal and looking in the general direction of the daytime sky.

    To get rid of internal reflections I did the following:
    • Applied flocking material for larger areas (e.g. inside tubes)
    • Rasped/filed away some of the chrome plating
    • Rasped/filed to roughen up some of the glossy black plastic surfaces
    • Applied paint thinner to roughen up some of the black glossy plastic surfaces (and to degrease some of them before painting)
    • Applied black spray-paint to some small (non-black) areas 
    • Roughened up my applied black spray-paint, to make it flat/matte.
    For flocking, I used "decorative grade" type of flocking material for the telescope. While special telescope flocking material does offer freedom of shedding and less reflectance, but Honey Badger Don't Care and nothing can be cheap enough for my "Cheap Astronomy" series! After all, who would spend several dollars worth of flocking material on a 10€ scope? Right.

    The material I use for flocking has a "sticky back" covered by protective paper (which has a grid on it and where you can draw with an pencil before you cut it).

    One can use this flocking material in two ways:
    • Either as intended, by cutting it, then pealing off the protective paper and sticking the flocking material where one needs it. If possible, degrease the surfaces first! And the more pressure you apply, the better the flocking material will stick – so initially just lay the material, then you can still correct the position, and then put down some pressure – without breaking things!
    • Or in some places – like the inside of a tube – you can (after you cut the material) simply leave the protective paper in place, roll up the flocking material, and place it inside the tube. Simple as pie! Holds nicely in the inside of tubes (especially small ones), and can be easily removed if necessary. And if needed, you can still stick it inside the tube.

    Reducing reflections of the focuser
    When looking through the lens one could see two ring reflections, one from the shiny black plastic of focuser, and one from the chrome plating of the focuser's drawtube.

    The drawtube reflection on my scope was totally brain-dead. The design of the drawtube seemed like someone had halfway thought it through. It has a internal baffle, and while the outside is chrome plated, the inside is painted in matte black – except the front end (objective end), were only a little bit of paint had reached it. So the chrome reflected the light back to the front lens. m(

    After I grinded down the chrome from the front of the drawtube, cleaned the front up and spray-painted it black (and making the paint flat with a piece of wood, e.g. an pencil), the reflection seemed OK. (As I managed to get some of the glossy paint on the inside of the tube and ruined the original matte paint, I had to flock the inside – oh well.)

    The glossy plastic of the focuser went matte as I cleaned it with paint thinner. And while this turns the black plastic slightly grayish, the degree of matteness is enough for me – while I initially intended to spray-paint it, I now could life without painting it.

    Reducing reflections of the star diagonal
    Now the star diagonal has a attached plastic tube (which fits in the focuser), which was wonderfully plated with chrome, a sight to be behold, truly marvellously produced – and totally brain-dead. First of all, the screw from the focuser's eyepiece-retainer had an burr and ate into the chrome. And secondly (and more importantly) the chrome plating created lots and lots of internal reflections.

    To get rid of the tube's reflections I had to do two things: I painted the ends and flocked the inside.

    To paint the ends, I rasped/filed away all the chrome from the exposed ends, and filed away all the copper underneath, until I hit the white plastic (don't forget to file of any burrs at the ends!). A little paint thinner prepared the plastic, and then I spray-painted the ends in black. After the paint started to become hard, I pushed a little piece of wood on it (e.g. an pencil), to make the paint flat/matte.

    After the paint had hardened, I put some flocking material inside the formerly chrome plated tube.

    Last was one little thing, namely the triangular glossy surfaces adjacent to the mirror – I cut out two pieces that matched roughly, attached them, and voilà!

    Improving the star diagonal
    Fixing the reflections from the triangular surfaces
    Left: out of the factory, right: with added flocking material

    Well, there are still surfaces causing potentially problems, but this has to suffice.

    Reducing internal reflections in the Barlow
    The barlow is composed of two parts screwed together. To get rid of the reflections I did the following:
    • Unscrewed the Barlow
    • Cut some flocking material to fit inside front tube (the rear tube is probably not so critical, so I didn't flock it)
    • Rolled up the flocking material and slid it in (with the protective paper still on the back of the flocking material)
    • Screw it back together
    A daytime test of the worst combo – 3x Barlow and star diagonal together – showed an much improved contrast.

    Flocking a dead horse?
    Having gotten myself into a flocking frenzy, I went ahead and flocked the tube of the finderscope, as it was awfully glossy plastic. And having still some reflections inside the (tiny) eyepiece of the finder scope, I took eyepiece of the finderscope apart and and flocked the spacer between the two lenses of the (Ramsden?) eyepiece. Which did not remedy the reflections in the eyepiece (maybe an reflection on the eyepiece lenses?), but at least I felt good (pun intended).

    The finderscope – A lost cause?
    Unfortunately it seems that there are many things which are wrong with the finderscope. And its bracket.

    First of all, no matter how much you clamp the bracket down, it will not stay aligned, mainly because the bracket was made for a OTA with an smaller diameter. m(

    [Update] It seems the bracket holds a little better if you mount it the other way round – but only a little better. It still is an awful piece of shite.

    (BTW, the finderscope bracket of my Newton scope was made for an OTA diameter that is larger than the Newton scope…)

    A confounding problem with the finderscope's alignment is the fact that the finderscope's eyepiece (which can be screwed in and out to adjust for your eyesight) does wiggle in its thread. This finderscope seems like a school book exercise in uselessness.

    The next thing was that while the lens of the finderscope was 23mm in diameter, the clear aperture was a measly 10mm. Bloody thieves! #§✰%!

    But a small aperture (in a plastic housing) is nothing that a dedicated man (or woman) with a drill and a large drill bit can't fix! Having found in my belongings a 18.8mm drill bit (which comes out to 3/4 of an inch, or so I am assured), I fixed the "not enough aperture" problem – as stopping down an aperture, if necessary, is much easier than the other way round.

    Having changed the finderscope from an 5x10 to an 5x19, I had to realize that this finderscope was stopped down for a reason: chromatic aberration. And lots of it. My (cheap, cheap) 7x60 binoculars look good in comparison. Maybe now one can do spectral analysis on stars simply by using the finderscope?

    To track down the source of the finderscope's new found chromatic aberration, I tried the lens from the finderscope (which I assumed to be the culprit) with my H42mm eyepiece – no chromatic aberration. Then I tried the finderscope's eyepiece in the 300700 – no chromatic aberration. Whatever it is, I will put my money down on "intrinsically bad finderscope design" – some things are made too cheap even for my taste.

    The short eye relief and small FOV of the finderscope did seal the fate of this scope: I hate this little piece of plastic.

    [Update] After I fiddled some more with the finderscope and its bracket, I reversed the orientation of the bracket and was able to mount the finderscope somewhat stable on the scope. And to boot, I have been able to align it more or less –  this hollow victory came at a price, now the white paint of the finderscope is coming off in chips, revealing the black plastic… I don't mind that, but everything about the finderscope seems more or less brain-dead. And the finderscope still doesn't stay aligned.

    [Update] I think I finally nailed the finderscope's bracket. Here's the recipe:
    • Remove the two knurled knobs holding the bracket and remove the bracket – now you should have two M4 bolts sticking out of the OTA, each secured by 1 flat washer and 1 M4 nut
    • Tighten both of the supplied M4 nuts (a bit) – don't break anything!
    • Add 3 star washers (M4) to each M4 bolt
    • Add 1 flat washer (M4) to each M4 bolt
    • Put the finderscope's bracket on the M4 bolts, making sure the bracket slopes forward and the bracket's base touches the focuser
    • Add 1 flat washer (M4) to each M4 bolt (here I used M4 washers with wider diameter)
    • Screw on the two supplied M4 knurled nuts and tighten them – don't strip the threads!
    • Done!
    Now you should have the following sandwich on each M4 bolt (from top to bottom)
    • 1 knurled nut (supplied)
    • 1 flat washer
    • Bracket (supplied)
    • 1 flat washer
    • 3 star washers
    • 1 nut (supplied)
    • 1 flat washer (supplied)
    • OTA
     The sandwich

    The plastic bracket now barely touches the OTA – the entire stability comes now from the sandwich of bolts, washers and nuts!

    In case the bracket still doesn't stay put: Go to the first step, and add or remove star washers from the M4 bolts until the bracket seems firmly attached to the OTA. Another idea is to wrap electrical tape once (or twice) around the OTA, so the bracket rests on the electrical tape.

    Furthermore, with some tape I managed it so that the finderscope stays aligned in the bracket. Victory! Not so fast, as the finderscope's eyepiece still wiggles – sigh. If I had a pot of "Chinese Grease", I might be able to do something about this problem… If everything fails, I will resort to some (weak) glue and glue that damned eyepiece in!

    The doublet lens – and a blunder
    One blunder I made was that I took apart the doublet lens between the two observation sessions and somehow reassembled it improperly. While I didn't notice it during the daytime, the sight of Saturn (on the second night, after I had reassembled the lens) was shocking: horrible, horrible coma. I took out the front element and carefully put it back in again – the coma was gone, thankfully all was well again.

    Otherwise, there is nothing to adjust in the all plastic lens cell: Put in rear element, spacer and front element, screw in the plastic retainer to secure the lens – done.

    BTW: The lens-cell seems to be permanently attached to the tube. Moulded? Glued? Who knows…

    [Update] Fixing the base
    The flexing of the base was really awful. The "focus shifting" I saw was actually due to this flexing. To fix it I did two things:
    • Drilled a countersunk hole to add a countersunk screw.
    • Added starwashers between the plastic base and the OTA (similar to the finderscope's bracket).
    And furthermore I removed the protuberance…

     Only two screws hold the tripod base, and both are on the same side of the 1/4"-20 thread – the whole thing can flex. Also notice the protuberance.


    Added a third screw (and sawed off the protuberance).

    With starwashers and third screw, the connection to the tripod is much more stiff.

    Saturn


    Now doesn't the colorful box directly invite the owner of this proud instrument to look at Saturn and his rings?

    I had the pleasure to test the (modified!) 70/300 refractor on Saturn on the nights of the 30th June and 1st of July, and compare it with my first scope, an Optus 76/700 Newtonian reflector I got for 5€ (by now mounted on an EQ1 mount&tripod I got for 12.50€). These Saturn observations were the first proper observations of Saturn with an telescope by me, and in fact the first "real" astronomy I did with an telescope after viewing the Moon.

    A few days later: Scorpius as high as it gets in our latitude, with Alpha Scorpius twinkeling in a orange light (and aren't the trees "beautifully" illuminated in orange by lots of high-pressure sodium lights?).

    On the 30th June the night sky was simply beautiful, Scorpius rising high (considering the latitude) in the southern sky, a new moon rising in the NE sky some time after midnight. I would have stayed up longer for an observation session, but I had to retire to bed because my body ached and longed for sleep.

    With a little help from astrometry.net

    Saturn became visible in both scopes some time after sunset, while the sky was still blue. From my observation site I had not much time before Saturn vanished behind an hill (which blocks my view to the SSW). It proved to be enough time, as I could start while the sky was still blue. Anything but ideal observation conditions because of this, but then again I did see mighty Saturn and his rings for the first time with "my own eyes".

    Granted, planets are not the prime target for such an fast refractor, but I wanted to see what is possible with this scope, and mainly I wanted to see Saturn for the first time through an telescope – and the planet was positioned favourably for me at the moment, so I looked at Saturn with both my scopes.

    For comparison I used the Newton scope with an 10mm orthoscopic eyepiece (at 70x magnification), which yielded wonderful images of Saturn. Finding Saturn without an finderscope, only using a low power eyepiece in the Newton and the EQ1's setting circles was not easy, but possible – the setting circles are silvery metal, and the printing is shiny black, which makes reading them in low light conditions difficult. I roughly set up the equatorial mount (axis to 50 degree, pointing south) and Saturn's current position (RA axis to 20h46 for Saturn culmination when he is directly in the South, and an declination of about 10°) and then needed to "circle around" until I found Saturn.

    Saturn and rings, according to Cartes du Ciel, currently with an apparent size of 17.8" and an apparent magnitude of 0.5.

    In the Newton, Saturn with its rings was very sharp – with an "etched" feel to it. In the Newton at 70x (with the Ortho) I could not make out Cassini's Division in the rings, nor the small shadow Saturn casts on his rings – Saturn is still too small at 70x, I fear. As well, one could not tell where the rings stop and where the planet starts (and "which way round" the rings are currently). What's more, the mount (EQ1) did shake a bit on the wooden floor, and seeing was probably not ideal as well. None the less, Saturn offered a wonderful sight – I could have watched blissfully for much longer.

    Simulated view (quickly created in Photoshop, not to scale): 
    Saturn in the 76/700 Newton,
    at 70x magnification, with the Abbe orthoscopic 10mm.
    Small, but sharp, like "etched" – no ring details though, and no shadows visible

    Obviously the slightest touch of the Newton (on its EQ1) lead to violent shaking, and focusing was difficult, but once the shaking died down I could see Saturn majestically floating by – until I had to readjust the RA axis, that is… I will have to give the EQ1 some more treatment.

    After I had viewed Saturn for some time in the Newton, I turned to the refractor. Finding Saturn was difficult, as the sky was still blue and the finderscope did not offer any help. The Manfrotto/Bogen ball-type head is not the best one for adjusting a astronomical telescope while searching for Saturn. Having one equatorial mount where one could mount both scopes would surely be nice – but the EQ1 is barely adequate for the Newton alone…

    Once I had the refractor on Saturn and started to use the Abbe orthoscopic 10mm eyepiece in it (which gave me a 30x magnification), it offered me a glimpse of what the "30070" could do. Very very tiny, but there it was: Saturn with an tiny tiny ring.

    Using the H6mm eyepiece really surprised me. I expected some kind of "mush" (as the H6mm is noticeably worse, even during the daytime, than all the other eyepieces I have), but I could discern Saturn and the rings!

    Arguably it did not offer the "etched" impression of the Ortho in the Newton, and the rings did not seem to form a closed loop (more like an attachment on the left, and one the right) – but here it was, Saturn with its Rings! It pays off to have low expectations, I guess. :-)

    Simulated view (not to scale): Saturn in the 70/300 refractor,
    at 50x magnification, with the H6mm eyepiece.
    A tad bit smaller and dimmer than the Newton, and more blurred.
    (In reality maybe a bit worse than this simulation,
    more washed out and with some chromatic aberration.
    The rings seemed like two attachments barely touching Saturn,
    like the "ears" that Galileo Galilei described.)

    Trying the Ortho10mm with the 3x Barlow did offer slightly larger magnification in the "30070" (90x times), but the view was inferior to what the H6mm eyepiece offered. As the supplied Barlow is not very good, one has to wonder what could tease out of this scope with the Ortho10mm and an good Barlow (or an good planetary eyepiece instead).

    The combination of H6mm and 3x Barlow was impossible to focus – the shifting of the focuser the flexing of the OTA base (which connects to the 1/4"-20 screw of the tripod) becomes a real problem here.

    Having established the Newton as "good", I wanted – for good measure – to try in the Newton on the one hand the H6mm eyepiece alone, and on the other hand the 3x Barlow with my eyepieces.

    With some fiddling I managed to get the refractor's Barlow in the focuser of the Newton (by removing the eyepiece-retainer from the focuser-tuber, putting some tape around the Barlow). The Barlow now almost touching the secondary mirror, I got an image of Saturn. But no eyepiece yielded a good image – not the "no name" Huygens 42mm, not the CZJ Huygens 40mm, not the LOMO symmetrical 17mm and neither the Spindler&Hoyer Abbe orthoscopic 10mm (which are all otherwise good eyepieces).

    Having forgotten to test the H6mm, I later tried it alone in the Newton as well – or at least I tried to try it. The Newtonian "not enough backfocus" syndrome reared its ugly head, and I was maybe one millimetre (give or take) short of being able to reach focus. I didn't think of removing the eyepiece-retainer at that time, which I want to try again next time. But what I saw of the H6mm did not persuade me.

    Nearby star Kappa Virgo (at 4.2 visual magnitude) was visible in both the Newton and the refractor at low magnification – but not visible in the 7x19 finderscope.

    Titan (at magnitude 8.8) was not noticeable in either scope, but then again I did not look for Saturn's largest moon (and the sky was not dark yet, as it was early evening).

    Shortly before I went to bed I attempted to find the Andromeda galaxy with my (cheap, cheap) 7x60 binoculars (handheld, not yet mounted at that time), and thought that the "fudge" I found might have been it – as Andromeda will move into a favourable position over the next months I shall revisit it.

    An Waning Crescent (&Terrestrial Use)


    As I woke up (way too early) at 4 in the morning of the 5th of July, I noticed a nice waning crescent in the eastern sky and put the scope to a short test:
    • With the 10mm orthoscopic eyepiece (at 30x magnification) the Moon looked beautiful (but small), with just an hint of chromatic aberration
    • The H6mm eyepiece (at 50x magnification) did show some more chromatic aberration (but much less than my cheap 7x60 binoculars), and yielded a image which was usable
    • The 3x Barlow with the Ortho10mm was not good, but usable – the Moon is an much more forgiving target, it seems
    • The 3x Barlow with the H6mm yielded an dark, but borderline useful image
    Makes me once again wonder what a good Barlow, and/or good eyepieces with short focal length could tease out of this scope… I had too stop observing the Moon however as I had way too little sleep.

    During the day the scope performed nicely with all my eyepieces (after I had the internal reflections removed, and focuser fixed, that is).

    With the Sym17mm and the "1.5x erecting eyepiece", at about 26.5x magnification.

    Same as above, but zoomed in by my point&shot camera. Can you see the cobweb? Notice how the rising heat stirs the air in the background.

    Even the "1.5x erecting eyepiece" does offer nice views during the day. The usage of the "1.5x" comes at a price: the aperture gets reduced (which makes the "1.5x" useless for astronomy, except maybe for watching the full Moon), the eye relief gets reduced and the FOV gets restricted. What I can however recommend very highly in the "1.5x" for daytime viewing is my Sym17mm eyepiece (which is a "LOMO C15x" microscope eyepiece, which I bought used some time ago). Even the H6mm is borderline usable with the "1.5x" during the daytime (if only with objects directly lit by the Sun). Alas, my H42mm has a too wide field of view to be usable with the "1.5x".

    The 3x Barlow produces significant chromatic aberration with all eyepieces during the daytime, only my H42mm had acceptable color error in combination with the 3x Barlow (yielding about 21x magnification – somewhat comparable to using my Symmetrical17mm alone, which has a wider FOV…). But if you need the magnification during the daytime, and if you can live with an dim upside-down image, and if you don't mind the color error, then by all means use the H6mm with the 3x Barlow during the day (or maybe on the Moon) – this will yield a nominal 150x magnification.

    What's Nice & Pleasant About This Scope


    First of all, while I need to test it more (and get higher powered eyepieces and better Barlows), I think the lens in the OTA is very good. Everything else can be fixed or upgraded – but if the lens is no good, then what can you do?

    So, I really like this scope – I think I will keep it as long as I have eyes to use it.

    Regarding some minor details, there are some other nice things to note about it. The scope is lightweight. The metal OTA tube seems rock solid (no wonder considering the short length). The lens cap fits nicely. The dew shield fits nicely, one can even slide it out a bit (before it becomes too loose).

    With access to microscope eyepieces one can get better low-power views. The scope has a 1/4"-20 thread for mounting it to a standard photo-tripod. Some of the baffling seems to be thought through (at least the parts of the baffling that are not brain-dead).

    And did I mention it is cheap and (with some modifications) rather good?

    [Update 2013-08-16] One thing I consider nice is that the supplied H20mm is apparently not of Huygens type. The H20mm eyepiece has its field stop before the field lens – this indicates that it is in fact not a Huygens type eyepiece. (The optics looks the same as those from the H20mm eyepiece supplied with my 76/350). Whether this eyepiece is a Ramsden or a Kellner eyepiece, I don't know. [/Update]

    Under The Hood (&Measurements)


    [To be added in the future]

    What Remains To Be Done


    More Testing
    Duh. Of course I need to test this scope more. And use it. Maybe the Andromeda galaxy? Some double stars? One or the other Messier objects? Let's see what time, health and weather permit – I won't promise much.

    The Finderscope Situation
    I need a usable finderscope – but not the sorry excuse of a finderscope that came with the "30070".

    While I think that once I fix the wobble of the finderscope's eyepiece, it might stay in alignment, it still has (with the aperture I increased from the meager 10mm to proper 19mm) horrible chromatic aberration. Furthermore the apparent field of view is small, and the eye-relief is short.

    If I fix the eyepiece wobble (which seems doable), the finderscope might be "somewhat" usable (for some value of "somewhat") – I'll have to see if I can life with the remaining shortcomings of the finderscope. In the meantime I shall name it "Fienderscope, the gift from Tartarus".

    The Focuser
    After putting some thought into the focuser, it seems to work almost well up to 50x magnification, with shifting that is somewhat acceptable OK (but quite awful at 150x). [As it turns out the "shifting" is actually a flexing of the OTA base, which connects to the tripod – and is not firm enough. If I could afford some mounting rings…]

    And the other shortcoming of focuser is that it still only accepts 0.965" eyepieces – instead of the 1.25" that is common today for such scopes (and most of the accessories one can buy).

    Of course it would more than remedy this situation if I would go completely bonkers, and spend 79€ for an 2" Crayford focuser, to be able to use ultra-wide FOV eyepieces (which probably would require to remove the baffle in the OTA). This focuser would cost almost 8 times what I spent on the scope. And would not fit anyway, as it was made for and OTA with 72mm inner diameter…

    I will try to go the "cheap&easy" route (our motto here at Cheap Astronomy HQ), and see if I can build out of wood an eyepiece retainer that will hold 1.25" eyepieces – should be doable. Once I have that, I can think about getting maybe an 8-24mm zoom eyepiece, or even an 1.25" Barlow (not the cheapest one, as one cheap and useless already came with the refractor – and nobody needs two cheap and useless Barlows).

    [Update] The baffle in the focuser's drawtube (diameter of 15mm!) seems too small after visual inspection, and probably stops the scope down quite a bit. I will remove the baffle (or rather open it to 30mm, which is almost fully open) and see how much chromatic aberration this introduces (*crosses fingers*). Going to my "shop", and again stopping down the scope is always easier than opening such an baffle in the first place, as one has to take care of any reflective surfaces that one creates in the process. Plus, if I add a stop again, I can see how much stopping down is necessary by making two or three baffles to test.
    Brain-dead drawtube: The dark black part is the flocking added by me, the gray part is the original paint (with the 15mm baffle already removed by me).

    Halfway thought-through: The baffle of the OTA – it is matte, but it is gray compared to my flocking material.

    [Update] This scope is stopped down!
    I determined that the baffle in the OTA stops the scope down. I removed the baffle in the OTA and I shortened the focuser's drawtube by about 15mm. This helped increase the clear aperture and I finally see some color aberration! During the daytime, one can see out of focus slight blue halos, which vanish in of focus. But the small diameter of the focuser's drawtube and the intrinsic small diameter of an 0.965" star diagonal will stop down such an fast scope. For such an fast scope, one needs an 2" diagonal diagonal of at least 1.25" and an focuser with an drawtube that has an clear aperture that is larger than 1.25" (as the drawtube's "front end" is somewhat closer to the lens – duh!). Obviously a 2" focuser and 2" diagonal would be the right combination for such an fast scope – a drawtube with an ID of about 1.25" (as is typical for such an Chinese-made plastic focuser) is too small.

    The more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion that the best thing will be to build a simple DIY crayford 2" focuser. While everything else I done to this scope was a series of "simple fixes", this will constitute actually building something. Let's see what I will do.

    [Update 2013-07-13] I roughly calculated the needed clear aperture for D=70mm, f=300mm and FOV=20mm (fully unobstructed optical path, so every "point" on the field lens of an eyepiece sees the whole objective lens). It is worse than I thought:
    • For the baffle in the OTA (roughly 85mm from the lens) I calculated a needed clear aperture of roughly 55mm – the baffle had an clear aperture of 35mm. o.O
    • For the focuser's drawtube front end (very roughly 110mm from the lens) I calculated a needed clear aperture of roughly 52mm – the drawtube has an inner diameter of 32mm. o.O
    • At the baffle in the drawtube, the needed clear aperture is about 42mm – the baffle was 15mm. o.O
    • At the front end of the star diagonal, the needed aperture is about 38mm, but the 0.965" star diagonal has (with flocking) an inner diameter of about 18mm at its front end. o.O
    With the baffle in the drawtube, I calculated (which may be wrong) that on-axis the effective aperture was only 30mm! With that one baffle removed, the effective aperture rises to about 50mm, which is still meagre! And while the baffle in the OTA decreases a little bit from the clear aperture, the bottle neck now is clearly the 0.965" star diagonal (closely followed by the 0.965" focuser).

    I'm afraid, it is: 2" focuser (with 2" star diagonal) – or bust.

    Flocking the dew shield
    And I think I will flock the dew shield, which I forgot in my flocking frenzy – might be a good idea, as the dew shield is made from very shiny plastic.

    Lens and lens cell
    Something that might be further beneficial is to blacken the edges of the lens, as the lens cell is shiny black plastic.

    The front part of the lens cell (the "retaining ring") might benefit from flocking as well, as one can see that shiny black surface when looking without a eyepiece through the scope.

    Better connection to the tripod
    The base of the OTA, which connects to the tripod via a 1/4"-20 screw can and will flex. The best (but not cheapest) would be to remove that base and use telescope mounting rings instead. I will see if I can come up with a cheap solution for this problem.

    Done! See update above!

    tl;dr

    • Refractor telescope with D=70mm (2.75 inch) and f=300mm (f/4.3).
    • The one I got was out of the box useless for astronomy.
    • The scope is stopped down. Out of the box possibly to only 30mm (if not slightly less). This can be raised with one modification – removal of the baffle in the drawtube – to maybe 50mm (or somewhat less). Some sources of reduction in clear aperture are somewhat easy to fix with DIY skills (remove the baffle in the OTA, remove the baffle in the focuser's drawtube), some (drawtube is too long and especially having an a diameter that is too small, and a 0.965" star diagonal is too small) are impossible to fix and need a bigger solution (basically adding a 2" focuser and 2" star diagonal). A 0.965" focuser and a 0.965" star diagonal are incompatible with such an fast scope! Such an fast scope needs an 2" star diagonal to use the full aperture.
    • The accessories (eyepieces, Barlow) are not good, but somewhat useful.
    • The star diagonal is after modification somewhat useful (but has still too small inner diameter).
    • The usefulness of the supplied 5x10 finderscope is very doubtful.
    • The bracket for the finderscope has the wrong dimensions and will not stay aligned needs much care and attention to be attached properly.
    • After I applied some modifications to the scope and star diagonal, the optics performed rather nice (given my low standards).
    • Furthermore, the scope benefited greatly from good eyepieces and a good mount/tripod.
    • It would be fabulous to test this scope with good 2x and 3x Barlow lenses (and good eyepieces with short focal length). This might even make this an small planetary telescope (to be determined).
    • The focuser accepts 0.965" eyepieces, which makes upgrading difficult (unless you have an extensive collection of 23.2mm microscope accessories).
    • Might make a nice and cheap rich-fielder, scope for travelling, finderscope, guiding scope (with some more upgrades).
    • My fantasy: Fitting the scope with an 2" focuser and trying it with some good accessories (e.g. wide view eyepieces).
    • I might be wrong, but my impression is that the OTA was not made by the same factory that supplies the omnipresent Synta/Skywatcher/Celestron/Orion scopes, but by an (in these parts) hitherto unknown Chinese manufacturer – so there seems to be another factory in China making cheap scopes! Per chance in Ningbo? (The eyepieces, Barlow and "erecting eyepiece" however seem to come from Synta, I would guess).
    • On a personal note: Writing this down takes longer than actually doing the modifications and tests…
    So, this must suffice now.


    [Update 2013-09-25]
    I finally managed to mount the 2 inch diagonal somewhat better and did some tests (daytime, as well as Moon). With a 25mm SPL (12x magnification) and 20mm PL eyepiece (15x) the lens gives a nice image – seems almost usable. With a 12.5 SPL (24x) and 10mm PL eyepiece (30x) the image shows some chromatic aberration and quite a bit of astigmatism (one can either focus on horizontal features, or vertical features…). With shorter EFL (nominally 6mm and 4mm, giving 50x and 75x magnification) the problems get worse (obviously).

    I don't know where the source of astigmatism is. I don't have any means to properly collimate this rig – and even if I could, it would not help much, I'm afraid. To adapt the 2"-diagonal I used a PVC-tube that has some flex – but the flex from this PVC-tube pales in comparison to the flex coming from the plastic-housing of the diagonal and from the plastic 1.25" adapter (you get what you pay for, I guess). Though having a wide field scope with 12x magnification (5.8mm exit pupil) is OK.

    As a finderscope this thing is probably too unwieldy and too heavy (and I wouldn't know how to adapt it for e.g. my 70/700 refractor anyway) – however as a wide-field companion on a photo-tripod this thing is nice.

    Speaking of astigmatism: When disassembling and reassembling the lens, one needs to take care that the spacer, front and rear element of the lens are put in properly. I found this "technique" helpful:
    • Put in the rear element (alone) into the "lens cell" and make sure it is properly seated.
    • Next put in the the plastic spacer, and make sure it is properly seated as well.
    • Finally put in the front element. Make sure not to tilt the front element while you put it in! If you tilt the front element while putting it in, it is possible to move the spacer a bit, which will result in the front and rear elements being tilted to each other – a much much worse image will be the result.
    I found it helpful to do this while the scope is horizontally.
    [/Update 2013-09-25]

    [Update 2013-10-11]
      Success! I finally managed to turn this scope into something useful! Now it works quite well when I tested it with my PL25mm (12x magnification) and PL20mm (15x) eyepieces. With my PL10mm (30x) the image deteriorates somewhat but is borderline between useful and not-OK. And with the PL6.5mm (46x) the image quality clearly deteriorates (no longer sharp, quite a bit of chromatic aberration). This is now (for me) a useful wide-field scope for magnifications of 15x and below, which nicely completes my scope collection.
      These are the things I changed (maybe someday I manage to make more images):
    • Into the 2-inch PVC tube (which holds the 2-inch diagonal) I put another PVC tube. Now the assembly is more stiff and can be better adjusted (I wouldn't dare to call this "collimation"). This tube has the effect of slightly vignetting the lens.
    • I put small strips of aluminium foil tape (1/10mm thickness) on the edge of the lens elements. Per lens element I used three strips (120 degrees apart). Each strip is on the side of the lens and goes around to the rear of the element. So the contact between the rear element and the plastic "lens cell" is better, the contact between the front element and the spacer is better and both lens elements are better centered. (BTW: Putting together the lens was much easier this time.) I tried it first with only the aluminium foil (without the white plastic "lens spacer ring"), but the image was decisively "not good" – with the spacer it was much better.
      By using a Barlow the image improves a bit at high magnifications – maybe the Barlow acts as a stop? Or is it the reduced focal ratio that make the life of the eyepiece easier? And using the lens cap to stop down the scope the image quality improves significantly at higher magnification (but is obviously dimmer). So with/without the lens cap one could use this maybe as a finderscope / wide-field scope combo.
      I still wonder: Am I the first person to use the lens from this scope at its full aperture? I still don't know how good the lens itself is – that would require a proper lens cell, and determining the right space between the lens elements – but the lens could do a lot more than what is possible out of the box (or conversely a 30mm f/10 scope would be much small/lighter/cheaper with the same performance as this scope had out of the box).
      Anyway I ordered a cheap PL32mm and PL40mm, these will be nice for this scope I imagine.
      Stay tuned.
    [/Update 2013-10-11]


    [2013-07-05: Published]
    [2013-07-06 to 2013-07-12: Various updates]
    [2013-07-13: Added information about clear aperture]

    4 comments:

    1. Very good and inspirational reading.
      Incidentally,I'm going the same route with a 60x310mm refractor.
      It was a TCM 60mm 20x-60x terrestrial refractor,useless at any magnification exceeding 20x.
      Now is working well up to 40x.
      I will stay tuned,good luck in improving further your small telescopes.
      Mircea

      ReplyDelete
    2. My 70/300 now makes a very good wide-field instrument. I love the view of the Pleiades! The 60x310mm sounds like fun – everyone should have such a scope!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Still did not understand exactly what you really did to the 30070 to get better and get better view in full aperture (70mm)

      ReplyDelete
    4. how had you managed to remove the baffle of the drawtube?

      ReplyDelete