Monday, July 8, 2013

Dark Adaptation and TV Noise

Steve Waldee on dark adaptation:
Perils of Overdoing It
I've found that if I keep my dominant observing eye profoundly dark adapted for too long a period -- it varies -- that eventually the 'visual noise' builds up objectionably, and I will start seeing a sort of "TV snow" effect in the field of vision. I can solve this by taking off the eye patch and looking down at the ground for a couple of minutes, or -- if it gets even worse -- then staring up at the sky for a SHORT period of time, relaxing my focus.
This is interesting, because I get TV noise in my "bad" eye rather quickly, after about 15 minutes of dark adaptation (and even if dark adaptation is lousy and there are some lights around!). And my good eye follows suit (slower and less extreme, but it will get there), but I will get TV noise maybe some 20 minutes later than the other eye (and again with sub par dark adaptation, lights still present). It is really annoying.

And to do what comes down to effectively stopping dark adaptation in order to get rid of this TV noise? This is not really the news I want to hear. After this short time my dark adaptation is still bad (e.g. Andromenda still a featureless dim "fudge" in my 70mm refractor) and I would like to get better adaptation!

Oh well, maybe it is part of Behçet's after all…

No comments:

Post a Comment